Thank you for organizing community members to help sponsor Afghan minority refugees to resettle in Canada. Your commitment to sponsor and integrate refugees will ensure that they will be able to freely exercise their human rights in Canada.
In order to become a refugee sponsor, IRCC requires several documents to be completed or prepared depending on whether you wish to sponsor refugees as a Group of Five or a Community Sponsor. Information about those two options is available on our FAQ.
Please check to make sure that you’re using the most recent version of the IRCC forms by comparing the date on the lower left corner of the form with the date on the form from the IRCC website.
For more information, please refer to IRCC’s Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program.
IRCC Forms to be completed
a. Forms for all sponsors
- Document Checklist [IMM 5437]) [one copy for each sponsored family]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5437E.pdf
- Undertaking/Application to Sponsor [IMM 5373] [one copy for each sponsored family]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5373E.pdf
- Sponsor Assessment [IMM 5492] [one copy for each person sponsoring]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5492E.pdf
b. Forms for Group of Five sponsors
- Settlement Plan — Group of Five [IMM 5373A] [one copy for each sponsored family]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5373AE.pdf
- A settlement plan template is available here. You will need to fill in placeholders based on the needs of the refugee family and your local community resources.
- Financial Profile — Member of Group of 5 [IMM 5373B] [one copy for each person sponsoring]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5373BE.pdf
- Proof of Citizenship or Permanent Resident status in Canada [scan one passport, PR card, or Canadian birth certificate for each person sponsoring]
- Financial Commitment:
- The Group of Five must show that it has enough resources to sponsor the refugee family. Funds can be shown with an account in trust, proof of income, or an account in trust plus proof of income.
- The following document is required to show proof of funds held In Trust: An original letter from a Canadian financial institution attesting to account details: identity of the beneficiary (for example, the refugees), when and how funds will be dispersed, the outcome of the funds should the beneficiary not arrive in Canada and the details of the two members of the sponsoring group with signing authority (for example, full name, date of birth and addresses).
- Details of an example of an account in trust are attached. Most major Canadian financial institutions should be able to set up an account in trust.
- In-kind sponsorships can include housing, furniture, start-up items, etc. The total commitment required depends on the number of refugees in the sponsored family. For specific amounts, see the “Sponsorship Cost Table” and the “In-Kind Deduction Table” at the bottom of: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5413ETOC.asp
- For a table of financial costs after maximum in-kind deductions, see Table 3 at our page Private Sponsorship Contributions Estimates
- We recommend securing 15-20% more than the minimum required amount for emergencies cost of living differences across Canada.
- Generally, it is recommended that at least three members provide financial support.
- One the following documents is needed for each Group of Five member who will to use their personal income for sponsorship:
- A copy of your most recent T4;
- A copy of your most recent Notice of Assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA);
- An original letter or proof of annotated cheque stubs from your employer confirming financial details for the past 12 months;
- If self-employed, an original letter from an accountant confirming your annual income for the past 12 months;
- Proof of other sources of income (pension statement, investments, etc.); or
- Employment Insurance pay stubs.
c. If you are sponsoring as a Community Sponsor:
- Settlement Plan and Financial Assessment — Community Sponsors [IMM 5515] [one copy for each sponsored family]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5515E.pdf
- A settlement plan template for Community sponsors is attached. Your organization will need to fill in placeholders based on the needs of the refugee family and your local community resources.
- Financial Commitment
- The Community Sponsor must show that it has enough resources to sponsor the refugee family. Funds can be shown with a guarantee of cash donation, an account in trust, or a guarantee of cash donation plus an account in trust.
- The dollar amounts for financial and in-kind commitments, and trust account setup, are the same as outlined above for Groups of Five.
- One of the following documents will show valid proof of income for Community Sponsor organization:
- Last year’s audited financial statement from the sponsoring organization;
- An original letter from a Canadian financial institution attesting to bank account details;
- An original letter from the organization guaranteeing a cash donation; or
- Proofs of alternate sources of funding.
- The organization should pass a resolution stating that it:
- Commits a specific amount of funds to sponsoring a refugee family for one year,
- Commits to paying the full sponsorship costs for sponsoring that family, and
- Appoints a specific person from the organization is responsible for overseeing the sponsorship. (That person will complete the IMM 5492 form.)
- An example board resolution template is attached. The format, wording, and details should be changed to reflect your organization’s local practices and administrative requirements.
The following information prepared by IRCC will help you prepare the above documents:
- Refugee Sponsorship Application Guide [IMM 5413]: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5413ETOC.asp
- Tips for completing the application forms for Groups of Five: http://www.rstp.ca/en/processing/the-refugee-sponsorship-application-forms/need-help-with-forms/tips-for-completing-the-application-forms-for-groups-of-five/
- Tips for completing the application forms for Community Sponsors: http://www.rstp.ca/en/processing/the-refugee-sponsorship-application-forms/need-help-with-forms/tips-for-completing-the-application-forms-for-community-sponsors/
- Note that you will not need to complete IMM8000 (the refugee’s application to immigrate to Canada). We will help the refugees complete those forms.
We understand that there is a lot of paperwork above. Please contact us at any time with any questions or concerns.